Title: A Study of the GIVE Verbs and SAY Verbs in Archaic Chinese
Field: Linguistics (Chinese Linguistics)
Title: Variant and Invariant: A Preliminary Approach to the Exploration of the Emergence of Singapore Mandarin 变与不变
Field: Linguistics (Language Contact)
|学术发表||A. Journal Papers
- 朱元 (Yuen Choo)，《从马来⻄亚华语和新加坡华语的谓补结构谈方言干扰的限度》(A discussion on the constraints of dialect interference with evidences from the “verb-complement” construction in Malaysian and Singapore Mandarin)，《全球华语》(Global Chinese) 2020; 6 (1): 137-147。https://doi.org/10.1515/ glochi-2020-0006
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2014. The interplay of universals and contact-induced change in Singapore Mandarin 触因变异与语言共性——以新加坡华语为个案. NTU Working Papers in Chinese Language Teaching Number 2 《台大华语文教学研究》研究生论文集年刊第二期. Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C 台湾·台北: Graduate Program of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, National Taiwan University 国立台湾大学华语教学硕士学位学程印行. pp. 1-42. (In Chinese)
B. Papers in Proceedings
- 朱元(2014)《触因变异与语言共性——以新加坡华语为个案》，《台大华语文教学研究》第2 期。To appear in the proceedings published by Jinan University Press by June 2021.
C. Conference Papers Published in Proceedings
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2017. A Preliminary Analysis of the Concept of the “One-Belt One-Road” Initiative from the Approach of Conceptual Space and Semantic Map 从概念空间和语义地图模型探讨“一带一路”战略构想的思维模式. Proceedings of the 2nd China-Malaysia International Seminar on “the Belt and Road: Maritime Silk Road” 第二届中国-马来西亚“一带一路：海上丝绸之路”国际学术研讨会会议论文. Huaqiao University, Xiamen China. (In Chinese)
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2013. Constraints of dialect interference in language contact—A case study of the fifth tone in Singapore Mandarin 方言干扰与语言接触的局限——以新加坡华语第五声为个案. Proceedings of the 25th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-25). University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. (In Chinese)
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2010. The relation of the forms and functions of ‘V 下’, ‘VV 下’ and ‘V 下V 下’ in Cantonese 粤语（广州话）“V 下”、“VV 下”与“V下V 下” 形式关系探讨. Proceedings of the 22nd North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-22) & the 18th International Conference on Chinese Linguistics (IACL-18). Vol. 2. Clemens, L.E. & CM. L. Liu, eds. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. pp. 145-162. (In Chinese)
D. Conference Papers
- Choo, Yuen. Phonetic alternations in Singapore Mandarin. 3rd Biennial Workshop on Sound Change: Sound Change in Interacting Human Systems. University of California, Berkeley. May 28-31, 2014.
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. A study of the adverbs ‘才[ts’ai35]’ and ‘再[tsai51]’ in Singapore Mandarin in the approach of semantic map 从语义地图看语言接触的层次——以新加坡华语“才”、“再”为个案. The 26th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics (NACCL-26) & the 22nd International Conference on Chinese Linguistics (IACL-22). University of Maryland, Maryland. May 2-4, 2014. (In Chinese)
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. A study of the fricatives and affricates in Singapore Mandarin from a historical perspective 从中古音来源看新加坡华语的擦音和塞擦音声母. The 6th Graduate Students Conference in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language 第六届世界华语文教学研究生论坛. National Taichung University of Education 台中教育大学, Taichung, Taiwan R.O.C. January 18-19, 2014. (In Chinese)
- Choo, Yuen. Variation between the two nasal codas [-n] and [-ŋ]: The interplay of universals and contact-induced change in Singapore Mandarin. The 5th International Conference in Evolutionary Linguistics (CIEL-5). The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. August 17-19, 2013.
E. URECA (Undergraduate Research Experience on Campus) Project Conducted in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2007. Reflections on the connotations of ‘lady’ and its word form in Chinese [t’ai t’ai51] using the Semantic Differential Test “Lady’ 较‘太太’高尚？由英汉女性称谓的联想词语调查所引发的思考”. Supervised by Dr. Tham, Wai Mun.
- Choo, Yuen 朱元. 2008. Dating the extant version of Kongzi Jiayu 今本《孔子家语》撰成年代探究. Supervised by Dr. Phua, Chiew Pheng.
- Research Grant
- Title: From Documentation to Model of Language Variation: Research on Improved Algorithm for the Emergence of the Grammar of Malaysian Colloquial Mandarin Based on Markov Chain
- Field: Linguistics
- Funded by: Xiamen University Malaysia Research Fund
- Project Period: 1st August 2019 – 31st July 2021
- Grant Number: XMUMRF/2019-C4/IART/0006
- Research Project
- Title: A Pioneer Documentation of Malaysian Colloquial Mandarin -- A Framework for Malaysian Colloquial Mandarin Corpus Application Development
- Field: Linguistics (Language Documentation)
- Funded by: Southern University College Research Fund Project
- Period : 1st September 2017 – 31st August 2018
- Abstract: The development of a synchronous Malaysian colloquial Mandarin corpus is a pioneer work in academia. There is no single comprehensive and synchronized corpus of Malaysian colloquial Mandarin until this proposed corpus comes into existence. Significantly, the proposed corpus will be an asset to scholars around the world. The resulting database and computerized concordance from the corpus enable linguists and social scientists to undertake meaningful qualitative and quantitative comparative analysis of the development of linguistic and cultural variation.
- Lee Kuan Yew Gold Medal Award, July 2009
- Wan Boo Sow Awards for Chinese Major Students, Academic Year 2006 – 2007
- Dean’s List of School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, 2005 – 2009
- Reviewers for “TCM微型小说征文比赛” , Xiamen University Malaysia (2nd June – 6th June 2021)
- External reviewer for a paper titled 《马来西亚吉隆坡广东话与中 国广州话词汇比较研究》, which was submitted to《南方大学学报》第六期, an academic journal published by the Southern University College (南方大学学院) in August 2019.
- Reviewer for the papers submitted to 第五届中文系国际青年学者论坛——新曦中文学坛 (15th June 2019 – 5th July 2019)
- Lecturer, Workshop (HSK汉语水平考试居家网考考前培训) on the procedures of the online examination to the qualified invigilators, Xiamen University Malaysia (19 February 2021)
- Organizing Committee and Secretary, Forum on Malaysian Mandarin Studies, Department of Chinese Studies, Xiamen University Malaysia(21st October 2019)
- Lecturer, Workshop (HSK新汉语水平考试培训) to guide the candidates on the examination (15th March 2019)
- Organizing Committee for the 3rd China-Malaysia International Seminar on the Belt and Road 一带一路国际学术研讨会 (March – November 2018).
- Committee to apply for promotion to full-fledged university, in charge of Training and Education (February 2018 – August 2018).
- Senate Member, Southern University College (January 2018 – August 2018).
- Teaching Affairs Committee, Southern University College (January 2018 – August 2018).
- Course Development and Documentation, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Chinese Studies, to prepare for the proposal and documents required by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) (April 2017 – August 2018).
- Examiner, Thesis Proposal Defense, Master of Arts in Chinese Studies, Department of Chinese Studies, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Southern University College (April 2017 – August 2018).
- Panel of Assessor, Southern University College Research Fund, to assess the research proposal titled “The May Fourth Movement in Southeast Asia: Its Impact on the Chinese Society, Culture, Language and Literature in Southeast Asia” (October 2017).
- External Abstract Reviewer for the LSA’s (Linguistic Society of America) Annual Meeting (August 2017 - Present).
- Sharing Session, Southern University College, to talk about the pursuit of knowledge (21 June 2017).
- Content Contributor to What Teochew Say Version 2.0 (known as WhatTCSay App) (April 2017).
- Voluntary Teaching (English) at the Education Camp organized by Impian Malaysia (March 2017).
- Review and Revision of Dictionary of Global Huayu (Chinese language) 《全球华语大词典》, to review and revise the meanings and usages of the lexicons as used by the speakers in Singapore and Malaysia (March 2016).
- Workshop on OBE (Outcome-Based Education), Xiamen University Malaysia, 24 – 25 October 2020.
- Understanding OBE from A to Z Workshop 3: OBE Process module 2 – The Implementation and Evaluation, Music Café, Southern University College, 11 – 12 January 2018.
- Understanding OBE from A to Z Workshop 2: OBE Process module 1 – The Development, Music Café, Southern University College, 3 – 4 January 2018.
- Understanding OBE from A to Z Workshop 1: OBE Process module 1 – The Planning, Music Café, Southern University College, 27 – 28 December 2017.
- MyRA workshop: Current Scenario and Strategy for Private Higher Learning Institutions, Southern University College, 24 August 2017.
- Taklimat Penerangan Garis Panduan Pelaksanaan Audit Dalam MyRA Bagi Pencapaian Tahun 2017 Universiti Awam dan Swasta, Dewan Za’ba, Kementerian Pendidikan Tinggi, 26 – 27 July 2017.
- Summer School, the 2013 Linguistic Institute of the Linguistic Society of America, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 24 June – 19 July 2013.
- Research Attachment, Peking University, China, February – June 2012.
- 2011 Spring SHSS Teaching Assistant Training Programme, School of Humanities and Social Science, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, February 2011.
- 2009-2010 Teaching Assistant Training Programme, Center for Enhanced Learning and Teaching, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, August 2009.
- International Student Exchange Programme, Chinese University of Hong Kong, August – December 2007.